Sunday, April 15, 2007

Betel nuts

I ordered betel nuts for someone from online the other day, and I'm really curious to see what they do to a person. I've never done any sort of drug in my life. I've never smoked a cigarette, either, nor do I plan to do so. I've been drunk before, but I don't do it often, and most times I turn down a drink when it's offered to me. I didn't have anything to drink in Canada or England when I was there and legal, and even though it's not a big deal to have a drink with dinner or when I go out, I just generally don't.

However, I want to try the betel nuts. It's common practice to chew betel nuts, or roll them in leaves, or combine them with tobacco (etc.) in a lot of Asian countries. The ones I ordered for my friend are dried, so I don't think they can actually be chewed... but I could be wrong. Anyway, I want to try them. There are some serious long-term effects that come along with chewing them, but they aren't readily available around here or anything, and I don't plan on using them for a long time. I'm just curious.

Here are some of the effects listed:
  • mild euphoria and a sense of well-being
  • feelings of general arousal and increased alertness
  • palpitations and increased heart rate
  • increased blood pressure
  • sweating
  • facial flushing and a warm sensation in the body
  • tremors, dizziness, diarrhoea, upset stomach, vomiting, acute psychosis

ACUTE PSYCHOSIS? Really?! I think it's exciting to think about it. Once won't hurt. Not like it's crack, am I right? And, hey, it's common practice in Asia, so it can't be that bad. xP

No comments: